Saturday, March 7, 2009

Introducing the Snapp twins!

Oh joy of joys! We are so pleased to announce that our little twins have arrived at last! After beginning induction at midnight on March 6, Liam and Coralie joined us in the world nearly 24 hours later in the wee hours of morning on March 7. For the most part, labor was pretty slow-going... so to pass the time, Joe and my sister, Julie, and I spent many hours in the hospital discussing baby names, playing Uno, and waiting for the action to begin. I will admit - there were many points throughout the day in which I wondered why I had opted for an induction rather than a c-section, worried about whether the induction would even work, and wondered how much longer I'd be willing to wait before ending up with a c- section anyway. But fortunately, it all worked out! Active labor finally began at about 7:00 pm, and I began pushing at around 11:00 pm. Once things were getting close, we were wheeled into the operating room - which, by the way, was about 10'x10' big, very 1960s sanitorium-style (photo left), and crammed with about 15 masked medical people that we never quite identified - just in case an emergency c-section was needed. But, the one good thing about the less-than-desirable OR atmosphere was that it really motivated me to get the babies out! I pushed for about 20 minutes, and then Coralie Alexandra Snapp was born at 12:43 am. Liam Xavier Snapp came out only 6 quick minutes behind, and honestly, it didn't even feel that long. After Coralie came out, my doctor said to give just a couple more pushes - which I assumed was for her placenta - so I was completely floored to push only a couple more times and then hear Liam's first cries. Pretty amazing, pretty efficient childbirthing, if you ask me! We felt so fortunate to experience a relatively smooth labor, particularly given that we had twins - and to be able to avoid an emergency c-section. I'll spare some of the labor details here, but if you want know more about how it all went, just ask!

Since Liam and Coralie were born so early on their birthday, they were able to have a long, busy day filled with lots of visitors and well-wishes. Their Aunt Missy even hopped on a train from Philly to see them, which was a great surprise and an amazing help to all of us. We tried to take as many photos as we could between catnaps, which we've saved in the following album:
Pictures of the First Moments

We will undoubtedly have our hands full - literally! - for quite a while, but we will try our hardest to keep the photos and updates coming as our babies grow. Stay tuned!

No comments: