Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ode to the end of maternity leave.

No photos, but what a milestone day! June 24 marked Liam and Coralie's first day at daycare, the official end of my long and blissful maternity leave, and my first day back at work (not to mention, my first day working in an actual office since December 19!). Fortunately, we can rest easy knowing that they are in the care of a wonderful and loving woman - and the hard part is juggling work while counting down the hours each day until we can see our babies again!

But, we knew it was inevitable, and I suppose there are some good things about the situation. For example, I've been reminding myself of something I read once, which said that one of the best things you can do for your kids is show them you are something other than a parent. So that will be my mantra! There are also some signs that the time had come to go back to work... like the fact that my feet have a Chaco tan not seen since the days of Peace Corps, and that I have now watched every season of America's Next Top Model, and have caught up on all of the old episodes of The O.C., One Tree Hill, and Beverly Hills 90210 (the '90's version). Yes folks, it's true: I have become a bona-fide Soap Net junkie. So if the mild case of brain rot I've developed isn't a sign for me to go back to work, then I don't know what is! Plus the fact that I've now seen a full cycle of The O.C. and One Tree Hill, and have lost interest in 90210 now that we are on the ho-hum college years. (Did anyone else realize just how long that show went on?!)

Which brings me to the things I will miss most about maternity leave... other than spending my days with the babies, of course! Here they are, in no particular order:
  1. Being able to do any old errand any old time I feel like it.
  2. Taking walks with the babies and Mika at any hour of the day.
  3. Daytime playtime with my good friend Anne!
  4. Being able to wear stretch pants and Target tops without shame.
  5. Taking naps with the babies... when they let me nap, that is. :-)
  6. Having the luxury of shuttling Joe to and from work. Oh wait, that's what Joe will miss most!
  7. Not having to get up at particular time every day.
  8. Being able to breastfeed and not having to pump round-the-clock at work. It's only been one day, and already I am thinking, "Eight and a half more months of this... really?
So, I guess I'm back into my old routine, but as a changed woman. And now, living my Soap Net-free and pumping existence!

No comments: